13 February 2006

Quote from Jimmy Wales on Social Software

I just loved this quote from Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia. While clearing out some old bookmarks, I ran across the original posting from Ross Mayfield on the Many2Many blog back in November 2005. We're facing a moment in time when many of the heads of IT are standing in the way of how people really want to connect and put the technology to work for themselves.

“I think, partly because of the personality types who become programmers… I don’t know what it is exactly... a lot of programmers, seem to me to think that the whole point of social software is to replace the social with the software. Which is not really what you want to do, right? Social Software should exist to empower us to be human… to interact… in all the normal ways that humans do.”

No comments: